Suara.com – Drinking water is very important to keep the body healthy and functioning properly. However, drinking too much water can also cause water poisoning.
Water intoxication occurs when you drink too much water, but your kidneys can’t excrete it quickly. Eventually the water will dilute the electrolytes, especially sodium, in the blood.
Although rare, water poisoning can cause death if not treated immediately.
“Water poisoning can occur when drinking more than three to four liters of water in a short period of time, such as an hour or two,” explains Lewis Nelson, MD, chair of emergency medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School.
While Diving Drinking Water, SIM Registrants at Polrestabes Semarang Get Cooking Oil and Vaccination Bonuses
However, there are no rules on the amount of fluid that is considered unsafe, and the risk of water poisoning will vary depending on the frequency of intake, age, gender, and health.
Water intoxication can also develop from drinking too much of other fluids, such as beer. This condition is called beer photomania Insiders.
The main symptom of water intoxication is a neurological syndrome. Because, too much water can make the brain swell and interfere with normal body functions.
Early signs of water intoxication include headache, confusion, nausea, vomiting, and forgetfulness.
If not treated promptly, it can cause other symptoms, such as slurred speech, weakness, hallucinations, muscle cramps, impaired brain function, seizures, and coma.
Drinking too much water is not good for the body, this is the impact
Water intoxication tends to occur among adults who run marathons, undertake military training, and have mental health conditions such as psychogenic polydipsia or schizophrenia.
However, this condition can also occur in infants. A six month old baby should not drink water because his stomach is small and his kidneys are not yet developed.