Petulo is one of the traditional snacks as well as market snacks that are currently rarely found. This is influenced by several reasons, for example, fewer and fewer people enjoy it and are displaced by other modern snacks.
Though petulo has a sweet taste mixed with savory. The noodle-like shape and colorful make anyone interested in tasting it, including small children.
Since it is rarely found, you can make your own coconut milk petulo at home. Here are the ingredients and how to make it.
Recipe for making colorful petulos
Total serving time: 60 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6 servings
- 250 grams of rice flour
- 50 grams of sago flour
- 300 ml coconut milk
- salt to taste
- pandan paste or green coloring to taste
- enough red coloring
Continue reading the article below
Coconut milk ingredients:
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 150 grams brown sugar
- 50 grams of sugar
- 2 pandan leaves, tie a knot
- salt to taste
Also read: Recipe for making Teflon pancakes, a delicious Sundanese snack
How to make petulo coconut milk:
- Prepare a pan to make petulo dough.
- Put the rice flour, salt and coconut milk in a saucepan. Stir until well blended and there are no lumps of flour.
- Turn on the stove over low heat and place the pot on it.
- Keep stirring until the dough is soft and combined.
- Remove the dough from the stove and let stand a few moments to cool slightly.
- Add sago flour and stir until the dough is smooth.
- Divide the dough into three parts. Add enough red and green coloring to each dough, then stir until the dye is evenly mixed. One other part leave it plain white.
- Put each dough into piping bag and cut off the ends.
- Prepare banana leaves as a base. Press or spray the mixture on the banana leaf until it forms like stacked noodles. Repeat until the dough runs out.
- Bring the water to a boil and put the petulo along with the banana leaves on top of the nest.
- Steam for about 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, remove and cool to room temperature.
- Boil all the coconut milk ingredients while stirring until it boils. Remove, strain and cool.
- Prepare a bowl or other small container. Arrange 4-5 petulos on it and pour it with coconut milk.
- Petulo is ready to be enjoyed with pancakes or other dishes.
Tips for making colorful petulos
- The amount of brown sugar and white sugar in coconut milk can be adjusted according to individual tastes. If you don’t like it too sweet, you can reduce the amount.
- The size of the petulo can also be adjusted according to taste. If you want a nice shape, you can use a special petulo mold.
- When steaming the petulo, cover the pot with a kitchen towel and leave a small gap so the petulo does not expand too much.
- Be careful when removing the cooked petulo from the top of the steamer. Use a spatula or food clipper, so your hands don’t get too hot.
Well, now you can make your own coconut milk petulo with the recipe above. The colors are beautiful and appetizing. It could be a business idea, too.
Read also: Recipe for Serabi Solo Roll, Similar to the Famous Serabi Notosuman