Soegimin Lifting the Body of a Revolutionary Hero Dies

Jakarta, IDN Times – The big family of the Marine Corps of the Navy is in mourning. Because, one of their proud soldiers, Pelda KKO (Purn) Soegimin passed away on Sunday, March 6, 2022.

Soegimin is one of 9 IPAM (Marine) personnel who are tasked with removing the bodies of seven Indonesian Army officers, victims of the September 30th Movement. The task was given by the Commander of the Navy KKO in 1965.

The Commander of the Marine Corps (Dankormar) Major General TNI (Mar) Widodo Dwi Purwanto said the late Soegimin died at the age of 83 at the Dr. RSAL. Ramelan, Surabaya, East Java. He is known to be suffering from respiratory problems and breathed his last at 15:47 WIB.

The deceased’s body was then buried at his residence in Surabaya, East Java, then buried using a military ceremony.

“Dankormar, all soldiers and families of the Marine Corps express deep condolences for the passing of one of the nation’s best sons,” Widodo said in a written statement, Monday (7/3/2022).

Then, where is the body of the late Soegimin buried?

1. The late Soegimin was buried at the TMP 10 November Surabaya with a military ceremony

Soegimin, Lifter of 7 Bodies of Revolutionary Heroes Dies in SurabayaFuneral ceremony for Pelda KKO (Ret.) Soegimin, the historical actor who appointed seven generals of Revolutionary Heroes who were victims of the G30S at Lubang Buaya (Documentation of the Marines of the Indonesian Navy)

The body of the late Soegimin was buried at the Heroes Cemetery (TMP) November 10, Jalan Mayjen Sungkono, Surabaya. The deceased was buried using a military ceremony around 21.00 WIB. The ceremony, said Widodo, will still be carried out with strict observance of health protocols.

“Acting as the Ceremonial Inspector (Irup) is the Director of Kodiklatal Training Brigadier General TNI (Mar) Widodo with the 2nd Marine Danyonroket Ceremony Commander, Marine Lt. Col. Daulat Situmorang, and joint ceremonial troops from the Army, Navy and Air Force,” reads the statement. a written statement from the Indonesian Navy Marine Corps today.

The late Soegimin left a wife and seven children.

Also Read: The Romance of the Revolutionary Hero Pierre Tendean which ended tragically

2. The process of removing the bodies of the seven revolutionary heroes from the old well took four hours

Soegimin, Lifter of 7 Bodies of Revolutionary Heroes Dies in SurabayaCrocodile Hole (

The events of September 30, 1965 caused the death of seven high-ranking TNI AD officers. They were General Ahmad Yani, Major General R. Soeprapto, Major General MT Haryono, Major General S. Parman, Brigadier General DI Panjaitan, Brigadier General Sutoyo, and First Lieutenant Pierre A. Tendean. According to some sources, these seven people were forcibly picked up by Cakrabirawa troops from their respective residences at midnight and early morning.

They were all taken to the Lubang Buaya area, East Jakarta. Then his body was dumped into a small well, which was later called the Lubang Buaya well.

Based on records made by Cornel University Press in 1966, the bodies of the seven high-ranking TNI AD officers were found on October 4, 1965. The seven bodies were found in an old well with a depth of 15 meters in the Lubang Buaya rubber forest area.

Continue reading the article below

Editor’s picks

To Tempo MagazineWhen he was still alive, Soegimin recounted the process of evacuating the bodies of the seven TNI AD officers, starting at 11.00 WIB and ending at around 15.00 WIB. The process of removing the body was witnessed directly by the Commander of the Kostrad, Lieutenant General Suharto, the Commander of the Army Command Troops Regiment (RPKAD) Colonel Sarwo Edhie Wibowo, and Second Lieutenant Sinton Panjaitan.

He recounted, the first body to be removed was Pierre Tendean. Meanwhile, the last body to be evacuated was DI Panjaitan.

“All the bodies are intact, none of them had their eyes gouged out or their genitals cut off like the story circulating,” said Soegimin in 2017.

All the bodies that were successfully evacuated were put into coffins and taken to the Gatot Subroto Army Hospital using armored vehicles. “After all the bodies have been successfully removed, the location is sterilized. No one is allowed to come close and be guarded by red beret troops,” he said again.

3. Lifting the corpse of the revolutionary hero from the Lubang Buaya well using a rope

Soegimin, Lifter of 7 Bodies of Revolutionary Heroes Dies in SurabayaAntara photo via Idntimes/Asprilla dwi Adha

Meanwhile, Pelda (Ret.) Evert Julius Ven Kandou, who also took part in evacuating the bodies of seven TNI AD officers in Lubang Buaya, recounted the tragic incident. He explained that there were three options for removing the body from the Lubang Buaya well.

First, lift directly. However, this cannot be done because the well with a depth of 15 meters only has a width of 75 cm. Second, digging to widen the well. This method is also considered difficult and takes a long time.

Third, use a rope by tying it to the corpse. Of the three methods, the RSPAD doctor agreed to the third method, namely that the entire body was removed using a rope.

The appointment process began at around 12:05 am in 1965. One of the members of the evacuation team, Corporal Anang, entered the death well and tied the rope. The first body to be recovered was that of First Lieutenant Corps Engineer Pierre Andreas Tendean, an aide to General TNI AH Nasution.

Then, at 12:15, Serma KKO Suparimin went down into the well to tie a rope to one of the bodies. However, the appointment was hampered by other bodies being squeezed.

Then, at 12:30 pm Prako I KKO Subekti also came down to tie a rope to one of the bodies. The association succeeded in removing two bodies at once, namely Major General TNI S. Parman and Major General TNI Suprapto.

Finally, one by one the bodies in the well were successfully removed. However, to ensure that all the bodies have been removed, one of them has to go down again into the well. But all the divers, both from KKO TNI AL and RPKAD, were exhausted.

“In fact, one of the selected soldiers who had managed to lift the body was poisoned by the pungent odor in the well. He was vomiting and lying down,” said Second Lieutenant Sintong Panjaitan in his biography entitled “Sintong Panjaitan, The Journey of a Soldier in Command.”

Because of this situation, the Commander of the Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, Captain Winanto, decided to go down to the bottom of the well. It turned out that there was still one more body inside, namely Brigadier General DI Panjaitan.

“The riot gas masks were unable to contain the smell of the seven bodies. So from about 100 meters away, the smell was felt when we entered,” said Pelda (Ret.) Evert as quoted from the MTATV YouTube channel.

Also Read: 17 Portraits of Wisma Yaso, Sukarno’s Last Rest which Becomes a Museum