Jakarta, IDN Times – Presidential Decree (Keppres) Number 2 of 2022 concerning the Day of Enforcement of State Sovereignty, which is important for Indonesian history, has drawn criticism. This is because there is no name for the 2nd President of the Republic of Indonesia, Suharto as the person who played a role in the General Offensive (SU) of March 1, 1949 against the Dutch, in the Presidential Decree.
The general chairman of the Movement for the Turn on Prosperous Society (HMS) Center, Hardjuno Wiwoho, said that the government should not distort history. According to him, Suharto had a big role in the March 1 SU.
“I think this is a political decision that is difficult for common sense to accept. It’s a bit strange for me,” said Hardjuno in his statement, Monday (7/3/2022).
Read also: Reviewing the emergence of Sukarno and Hatta in the Presidential Decree on the March 1 General Attack
1. Criticize Presidential Decree 2/2022 which does not include Suharto’s name
Hardjuno also criticized the government for making decisions by not including Suharto’s name in the Presidential Decree. According to him, Suharto’s name was not included in the Presidential Decree because of politics.
“Just look at it now. Everything that smells of Pak Harto and his breed is being messed with. I think this is a stunted political stance,” he said.
Furthermore, Hardjuno explained, when Suharto held the rank of lieutenant colonel (letkol), he was General Sudirman’s confidant to attack the Dutch who controlled Yogyakarta.
Lieutenant Colonel Suharto, who at that time served as commander of the 10th Wehrkreise III Brigade, also received support from Sultan Hamengkubuwono IX.
“Don’t intentionally forget or distort history. Don’t fool future generations just based on hatred. This is not good and unhealthy for this nation’s future journey,” he said.
Read also: Fadli Zon Sentil Mahfud MD about the Presidential Decree on the March 1 General Attack
2. Suharto’s name remains in the academic text
Continue reading the article below
Previously, Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs (Menko Polhukam) Mahfud MD, via his Twitter account, said that it was not true that Suharto’s name was removed from the March 1 General Attack.
“The presidential decree is not a history book, but the determination of a crucial historical point. The presidential decree does not eliminate Suharto’s name and others in the March 1, 1949 SU. The name and role of Suharto is mentioned in the Presidential Decree Academic Paper whose sources are comprehensive,” Mahfud wrote, quoted as saying IDN TimesSunday (6/3/2022).
3. Fadli Zon’s comments invite an open debate
Member of Commission I DPR RI, Fadli Zon, commented through his tweet regarding Presidential Decree 2/2022. According to him, in the March 1, 1949 SU, there was no role for the First President of the Republic of Indonesia, Sukarno and the First Vice President, Mohammad Hatta.
“Mr Mahfud was wrong. In the General Offensive of March 1 1949, Sukarno and Hatta were still in captivity in Menumbing. The government was led by the PDRI (Indonesian Emergency Government) under Sjafroeddin Prawiranegara. There were no ideas from Sukarno and Hatta in this incident. Don’t distort history!” said Fadli Zon.
Fadli Zon’s statement commented on Mahfud’s tweet about Sukarno-Hatta having a role in carrying out the March 1, 1949 SU consideration.
“In the preamble the names of HB IX, Sukarno, Hatta, Sudirman as the initiators and movers. The roles of Suharto, Nasution, and others are written in full in the Academic Manuscript. Same as the 1945 Proclamation text, only mentioning Sukarno-Hatta from dozens of founding parents others,” said Mahfud.
In another tweet, Fadli Zon invited Mahfud MD to debate with the historians involved in the issuance of Presidential Decree 2/2022.
“Pak Mahfud, let’s just have a discussion/debate with the historians behind the Presidential Decree. We can compete with data and facts. But don’t distort history!” said Fadli Zon.
Mahfud also responded casually to the tweet. He invited Fadli Zon to argue with the historian himself.
“Please, immediately invite yourself if you want to debate, sir. Mr. Fadli Zon can contact him, you can even directly invite the Governor of DIY to debate. The DIY Regional Government Academic Manuscript Team and the UGM historian have been discussing since 2018. I didn’t participate there. I also didn’t have time to be on the debate committee,” said Mahfud.